June 25, 1920
Hartwell’s post office saw a major change in 1920, opening the door for the city to receive a federal building.
The postmaster at the time received notice from the Post Office Department in Washington, D.C. that the Hartwell office advanced to second class.
Changes that came with this distinction included not being able to deliver mail on Sundays and the general delivery window would be closed on Sunday as well.
The advancement to second class made Hartwell eligible for a federal post office building, and plans were in motion to make that happen, The Sun reported.
The announcement was considered “another feather in Hartwell’s cap” and was “evidence of the wonderful growth of the city.”
June 27, 1947
Soil conservation was improving in Hart County thanks to the use of bulldozers.
Over a period of 14 months, the county’s soil conservation program worked on 78 farms using two bulldozers. With the use of the bulldozers, 896,000 feet of standard terraces were constructed, 164 meadow strips were established, 16 fish and stock ponds were constructed, 93 road beds and old gullies were filled up and 58 acres of land was cleared for establishment of permanent pasture.
The machinery was owned by John W. Groover, a student at the University of Georgia at the time. Though, the bulldozers were operated by local people including Mack Craft, Charles Mewborn and Hardy Evans.
All of the work was done under the Soil Conservation Service.
June 28, 1984
Hartwell was prepping for the “biggest event of the year” — the Pre Fourth Extravaganza.
The event, sponsored by the Hartwell Junior Service League, was supposed to feature more events and activities than in past years.
It was the first year that the “Little People’s Place” was offered for young children. Participants were able to take on carnival-type games including ring toss, bean bag toss, candleshoot, checkers and more. Face painting was also included for the kids.
Hardee’s and the Hart County Running Club sponsored “Hartwell’s Our Town Race”, which included three races for runners. A 5-kilometer run was planned for 8 a.m., a “Round the square jog” for 8:45 a.m. and a one-mile “Fun Run” was scheduled for 9 a.m.
This year, the annual Pre-Fourth events, including the fireworks, have been cancelled.